Baseball Poetry

Dedicated to the writing of those invited to participate in a baseball poetry project. Those invited were asked to 1) go to a baseball game, any game and 2) create a poem, in any shape or form about that particular game or some memory of baseball, for the purpose of developing a collection. Most baseball poetry collections are ones culled from the works of famous poets; this one is designed to be more democratic, inviting some established poets and others moved to write baseball poems.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Rain Delay

Wendy Atterberry

Cinco de Mayo, 2006:
Not a baseball game, dinner. Sushi, to be exact.
And I am sitting with a man in Soho who speaks with his hands
and eyebrows.
He drops his chopsticks a lot,
they punctuate his nerves.
It's a Friday and I'm wearing a skirt and heels.

On Sunday we sit in Washington Square Park and laugh.
"There's a fly on my shoe," says an old man
to his lady friend,
"Look at that," he says in a thick New York old man Jewish accent,
"I have a friend."
He sings Sinatra songs to her,
and she clasps her hand around his arm and smiles.

It's three months before I watch a game with the Yankee fan.
He's come to Chicago to see Tom Waits,
and me.
"The Yankees are playing the Sox tomorrow night," he says.
And I nod. I have other plans.
"The Yankees are playing the Sox tonight," he says the next morning, and I
sigh.
"We don't even have tickets," I tell him.
"The Yankees are playing the Sox in one hour," he says later that day.
"Fine," I reply, "you have to buy me a hotdog."

Outside the stadium someone sells us $27 tickets for $30 apiece
and we think that's pretty good.
The game is rain delayed for two hours and
inside the stadium we cover our heads
with White Sox hand towels,
and sip syrupy Margaritas.
It's $1 hotdog night and we eat 5.

It's a Thursday and I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
He still speaks with his hands
and eyebrows,
but time and Margaritas have calmed his nerves.
We have two more days
before he flies back to New York.
And three weeks before I go to him.

"Tomorrow we do whatever you want," he says
when the Yankees lose at midnight,
6 hours after we've left home.
We walk to the redline through drizzle.
I clasp my hand around his arm and smile.
"Thanks for the hotdogs," I reply, wiping rain
from his brows
with a White Sox hand towel.
"You're welcome," he says as we run for the train
and head home.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger David Schaafsma said…

    This was written (really!) by Wendy Atterberry, who makes it clear in an email to me that she is not particularly a poet nor a baseball fan, but hey, she went to a game and wrote this good poem. I mean, what is going to a baseball game for most of us but primarily this complex social experience (and some of you who have attended games with me will now recall saying SHUT UP to me) where the actual game is just a part of the deal.

    I like the negotiation to go, makes me smile, I like the old man in the park with his lady friend, and the way you wipe the wet brows of your friend. Hopeful, wanting that same kind of thing those old folks have.

    I like the shift in clothes.. .you will note how clothes figure in Andrew's poem.. . just kidding. Can I imagine a man's poem noting the clothes he was wearing to the game? Hey, there's an idea. Probably not.

    The drama king in me might have wished for something more dramatic as an ending, but I finally feel it is right to end without fireworks, simply.

    Five hot dogs is damned good, Wendy!
    Nice poem.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger David Schaafsma said…

    Good writing is good writing, sports fan or poet or not, and most of us aren't poets, though many of us are more fans than you. What you have is a good story, shaped nicely, with entertaining stuff about your true subject--him, the love you'd hope to create, the compromises one makes to have the relationship one wants, like going to baseball games that last 6 hours. But hey, you thanked him for the hot dogs, you got to do what you wanted the next night. ..

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Frans Vander Grove said…

    Lovely, just flat out lovely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home